Tired of the same old boring breakfast? Is toast and cereal just not cutting it anymore? Maybe you just like to get creative in the kitchen!?
If any of the above applies to you then why not try the delicious Banana Hazelnut Pancakes.
The combination of pancakes, banana, yoghurt and hazelnuts are certain to keep you going through till lunch!
If you're not into the toppings then why not substitute them for something more to your taste? Pancakes are the perfect choice when trying to wake up those taste buds on a morning!
What You Will Need:
• 1 cup (4 oz.) whole hazelnuts
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp Turkish coffee powder, optional
• 1/2 stick butter, melted
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp hazelnut extract, optional
• 1/4 cup roasted cacao beans or nibs, for garnish, optional
• 1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts, for garnish, optional
• 6 baked bananas (see below)
• 1 cup Meyer lemon yogurt (see below)
1. To toast the hazelnuts, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove from the oven and let cool.
2. Place the hazelnuts and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. In a bowl, whisk to combine the ground hazelnuts, flour, baking powder, salt, and Turkish coffee powder (if using). Set aside. In a separate bowl, thoroughly whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and hazelnut extract. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Do not overmix.
3. Place a skillet over medium high heat and butter lightly. Drop about 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake (for small pancakes) from a ladle into the skillet. Flip when the underside has turned golden brown, and remove from pan when second side is golden brown. Repeat as necessary for the batter.
4. Top the pancakes with roasted cacao nibs and toasted hazelnut, if using. Serve with baked bananas and a dollop of Meyer lemon yogurt.
• 6 bananas, or 12 mini bananas
• 1 1/2 tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
• 1 tbsp coconut oil (or butter), melted
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Split the bananas lengthwise, removing the peel. Place the bananas cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with the Meyer lemon juice and then drizzle with the melted coconut oil. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on top of the bananas.
2. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the sugar is bubbling and melted, and the bananas are soft but still retain their structure. Remove from oven and let cool briefly. Serve while still hot. (The bananas can be re-warmed in the oven for a few minutes, if necessary.)
Meyer Lemon Yogurt
• 1 cup Greek yogurt
• 2-4 tbsp whole milk
• 1 tbsp Meyer lemon zest
1. Stir together the yogurt, milk, and Meyer lemon zest.
For this mouth watering recipe and much more, take a look at Anthology Magazine & Desserts For Breakfast.