Today marks the Chinese New Year, and so to celebrate that we thought we’d share one of our favourite recipes.
It is going to be the year of the Goat, so what better reason than that to try Crispy Goat Cheese Wontons With Chili Dipping Sauce.
They are perfect for an appetiser or something to pick it if you have a few people round, and better still they are super easy to make.
For the wontons
• Vegetable oil for frying
• Wonton wrappers
• Goat cheese (or cream cheese)
For the Chili Sauce
• 2 parts soy sauce (I always buy Tamari soy sauce)
• 1 part rice wine vinegar
• 1 part sesame oil
• 1/2 part hot chili sauce
• 1/2 part honey
• Sesame seeds for garnish
1. First make the sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients together with a whisk. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Heat two inches of oil in a 2 qt saucepan to about 350 degrees.
3. Put a small dab of goat cheese in the center of each wonton wrapper. Run a wet finger around the edge and fold the wonton in half diagonally. Press with your fingers to seal the dough.
4. Bring the two outer corners up and overlap them, sealing with a bit of water. You can also leave the wontons in a triangle shape, if you prefer.
5. Drop the wontons in the hot oil and let fry for about a minute to a minute and a half, just until they are golden and crispy. Flip them halfway through. Drain on a paper towel.
6. Serve hot with the dipping sauce on the side.
For this and more great recipes please head on over to theviewfromgreatisland.com