Easy to make and delicious to eat this European-Style Picnic Sandwich contains a host of succulent ingredients including prosciutto ham and is perfect for the warm weather.
June 2017 is set to be the warmest June in 40 years, and due to this now is not the time to be having hot food. But that shouldn’t compromise eating some not as tasty. That is where this sandwich comes in.
All of the key European players are here: fresh, yeasty baguette; plenty of brie, bien sur; flavorful, salty prosciutto, for a bit of staying power; fresh, peppery arugula; and a generous smear of fig compote for a touch of sweetness.
This sandwich is easy to assemble, and can be thrown together ahead of time. Then simply wrap it up, grab yourself a fruity drink or bottle of wine, and head out on your adventure. When hunger hits, find yourself a nice, comfortable spot and indulge in this most delicious picnic sandwich – and why not close your eyes for just a minute and imagine yourself in Paris, or somewhere else in Europe.
Euro-Style Picnic Sandwich
* 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
* 6 ounces brie
* 1 French baguette
* 4 tablespoons fig compote
* 8 ounces sliced prosciutto
* 4 ounces fresh arugula
1. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and mustard.
2. Thinly slice brie.
3. Slice baguette into four pieces, then split each piece in half lengthwise.
4. For each sandwich, spread mayonnaise mixture on one side of baguette and fig compote on the other.
5. Top mayonnaise with sliced prosciutto, sliced brie, and arugula.
6. Place remaining baguette on top.
And as we always say, don’t be afraid to be creative. Why not substitute olive tapenade or sun dried tomatoes for the fig compote, or fresh mozzarella or goat cheese for the brie?
For this and more great recipes please head on over to themillennialcook.com