Scrambled eggs, delicious cheese, and basil pesto all sandwiched together between two slices of sourdough bread, then pan cooked and finished off with a drizzle of sweet honey. It’s essentially just three ingredients, but it is breakfast perfection.
This is very much a breakfast worth waking up for. I mean, who doesn’t want grilled cheese for breakfast? It’s simply perfect, and could be considered a rather healthy breakfast with all those protein packed eggs and greens!
That’s not to say that it has to be eaten for breakfast, as it could easily be used for lunch or dinner, as it’s really quick and easy to make.
First things, you have to start with the soft scrambled eggs. And soft scrambled is key. You want to be sure not to overcook the eggs because they will continue cooking inside the grilled cheese. It’s a two-minute cooking time tops, so watch the eggs closely. Also, don’t go overboard with them – just a little seasoning with salt is all you need, but if you like things spicy, you can add in some hot peppers or hot sauce. Have fun and use your fav flavours.
And for extra rich soft scrambled eggs, stir in a tablespoon or two of mascarpone or cream cheese. It’s so delicious.
You now have your eggs, now let’s make a grilled cheese!
Sourdough bread is used here, but you can really use whatever bread you love. Just make sure it is something sturdy. Layer the bread with cheese (again whichever you desire - cheddar and fontina is being used here), then eggs, and lots of basil pesto. Cook in a skillet with a little butter and then finish the grilled cheese off with a sweet drizzle of honey.
The honey might sound weird, but just trust us, it’s so unexpectedly good. You have to do it.
Breakfast Grilled Cheese (With Soft Scrambled Eggs & Pesto) Recipe
Prep time 10 minutes / Cook time 5 minutes / Total time 15 minutes
Servings: Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded havarti or fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Honey, for drizzling
- Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, evenly layer the cheeses, eggs, and pesto. Add the top piece of bread, buttered side facing up.
- Place the sandwiches, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with chives, honey, and sea salt.
For this and lots more great recipes please head on over to one of our absolute fav websites halfbakedharvest.com