Tomorrow is National Cherry Day in the Britain.
Did you know that just 10 cherries can make up one of your five a day? They are nutritious and help fight disease and other illnesses. Helping you to sleep, serving as a kind of pain-relieving aspirin and fighting against ageing, this is one super-cherry!
The Romans first brought cherries from Persia and introduced them here in Britain. Some even say that ancient roads can be traced from the spots where marching Romans spat out there seeds and caused a new tree to grow!
However over the last fifty years we've seen a decline in our cherry orchards, which means we now import around 95% of all cherries!
So the main goal of National Cherry Day is to raise awareness about the need to maintain our traditional orchards!
So to help the cause here is delicious Cherry Thyme Crostini Recipe that is simple to make and great for a summer snack or as an appetizer before a main meal.
Cherry Thyme Crostini
• 1/2 cup PAMA Liqueur
• 2 cups pitted and halved cherries
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 baguette, sliced into 1/4-inch sliced and toasted
• 1 log goat cheese, softened
• fresh thyme leaves
1. In a medium saucepan, combine PAMA Liqueur, cherries, lemon juice honey, almond extract and cinnamon. Place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer mixture until liquid becomes thick and syrupy, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
2. Spread softened goat cheese on toasted baguette slices. Top with some of the cherry mixture and a sprinkle of thyme.
For this and more great recipes please head on over to www.foodbabbles.com