For a first-time vegetable grower, there isn't an easier place to start than with rhubarb. It will flourish without too much attention, rarely suffers from diseases, and will provide you with tasty stalks at a time when little else is ready for harvest in the garden. Cultivated for its delicious, pink stems, rhubarb is a very hardy, frost-resistant vegetable - in fact it requires a period of frost in the winter in order to produce the best stalks.
Now if you are one of the people that has been growing rhubarb then you’ll be pleased to know that you can now start to pick it. And when you think of rhubarb you automatically think of crumble.
A crumble is full of colour, full of taste, can be enjoyed hot or cold, and most importantly is uncomplicated to make.
Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
For the topping
* 2/3 cup (150 g) salted butter (if using unsalted, add another pinch of salt to batter)
* 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) light syrup
* 1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp (100 ml) milk or half & half
* 3/4 cup + 1 1/2 (120 g) tbsp all purpose flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 2/3 cup (140 g) granulated sugar
* 1 1/4 cup (90 g) rolled oats
* 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes
For the rhubarb
* 400 g rhubarb (ends trimmed), about 5 stalks
* Zest from 1 small organic lemon
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 3 tbsp (40 g) granulated sugar
* 1/2 tsp freshly ground cardamom
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
2. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter together with syrup and milk. Set aside to cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar, oats and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until smooth.
5. Cut the rhubarb into 1/2 - 2/3 inch (1 1/2 cm) pieces. In a large bowl, toss rhubarb with lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, cardamom and cinnamon. Put the rhubarb in a deep-dish pie plate (8-9 inches / 22-24 cm) and pour the topping over the rhubarb. Smooth topping with a spatula.
6. Bake in the center of the oven for 45-47 minutes or until topping is golden and rhubarb filling is bubbly. Let cool for a while before serving with vanilla ice cream.
For this and more great recipes please head on over to callmecupcake.se