Today is world Hot Dog Day, and whilst it won’t be celebrated over here with as much enthusiasm as say the USA, Canada, and Australia we here at Van Mildert thought we’d get into the spirit with a recipe for the Ultimate Breakfast Hot Dog.
As you might imagine the hot dog originates from the United States, although any one of about 6 people dispute that they were the creator. What’s not under dispute is just how popular there are over there in North America. The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council (yes that is a real organisation) estimates that almost 20 billion hot dogs are consumed by Americans each year.
Oh yeah and whilst today is officially Hot Dog Day, July has actually been Hot Dog Month over there.
They are the staple food of sporting events, in particular baseball games, and you’d be hard pressed to walk down any major street in a US City and not find a vendor – it’s big business too being a vendor with key hot spots for stalls sometimes costing several hundred thousand dollars to rent for the year.
There is also an annual hot dog eating contest of which the World Record was set in 2013 when American Joey Chestnut ate 69 hot dogs and buns in just 10 minutes!
Now we don’t propose you try to beat any World Records with these, but here’s a delicious and easy recipe for The Ultimate Breakfast Hot Dog.
* 1 Large Potato, Peeled
* 4 Hot Dogs
* 4 Buns, toasted
* 4 Eggs
* 1/4 cup Cheese, Grated
* 2 Slices Bacon
* 1 Medium Tomato
* Oil for Frying
- Grate your potato and place into a sieve then run cold water over them, agitating them with your hands until the water flows clear. Remove potatoes to a clean towel and get them as dry as possible. The goal is to rinse off as much starch as possible so you can get some nicely browned potatoes.
- With a little oil (roughly 1 tsp should be enough) in a non-stick skillet, brown the potatoes into hash browns then set aside.
- In the same skillet, prepare the bacon and cook until crispy then set aside until cooled and ready to chop.
- Prepare your hotdogs with your preferred method.
- Crack eggs into the skillet and cook, sunny side up until the egg whites are set and cooked through.
- To assemble, sprinkle shredded cheese over toasted hot dog bun and top with cooked hotdog. Top with hash browned potato, sprinkle on the chopped tomato then lay on top of that one egg per hot dog, and crumbled bacon.
For this and more great recipes please head on over to the recipe section of www.frugalmomeh.com