No fancy names or gimmicks are needed, but maximum taste and enjoyment are guaranteed with a Classic Bacon Cheeseburger Recipe, and whilst its origin may be American this is very much part of the upcoming British Beef Week.
Great British Beef Week runs from the 23rd to 30th April and is now in its 8th year, aiming to encourage everyone to celebrate the quality and versatility of nutritious British beef.
So, with that said it is only right that we dug out a recipe to encourage people to go British when choosing their beef.
Now you can’t go wrong with a simple burger, but adding some cheese to it makes all the difference, and then escalating the situation with some bacon makes even more delicious.
However, seeing as though you are using top quality British Beef make sure you use quality bacon too, as you don't want to undo all your hard work.
Classic Bacon Cheeseburger
Prep time: 20 mins / Cook time: 20 mins / Total time: 40 mins
For the burger patties:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 kg British beef mince
- Large handful fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1-2 teaspoons salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
For the cheeseburgers:
- Sliced cheese
- Bacon cooked to your preference
- Fresh lettuce
- Ripe tomatoes sliced
- Butter-toasted bread rolls
- Fry the onion in a large frying pan in a splash of olive oil until golden brown. Add the garlic and fry for another 30 seconds then remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mix the cooled onions with the beef, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper. To test the seasoning, fry a teaspoon-full of the mixture in the pan you cooked the onions in. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 5-6 (depending on how you big you want the patties), and form patties with wet hands.
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- When the patties have rested, heat a large cast iron pan/griddle pan until hot then cook the burgers until charred and cooked to your preference. (You can also cook the burgers on a braai/barbecue.)
- Remove from the heat, top with the cheese and cover with foil for 2 minutes.
- Top the buns with a generous spoonful of mayo, lettuce, tomato, the patty with cheese and finally bacon.
- Serve immediately.
For this recipe and more just like it please head over to simply-delicious-food.com